Rishikesh Yogkulam was founded in 2018, born from the vision of Dhirendra Bisht and Amit Payal. Having seen their city change in recent years, Dhirendra and Amit wanted to start a school that truly focused on Yoga and its traditional principles. Today there are thousands of schools in Rishikesh and across the globe, that cater to the increasing stream of students and spiritual seekers from all around the world. This has led most schools to interest themselves in simply making Yoga a money oriented business at the expense of quality.
The two cousins, born and raised in Rishikesh, wanted people to understand and recognize Yoga for its essence and origin. It was this passion that motivated them to start a school with an unmatched level of education. Their mission is to prepare and shape students looking for the true meaning and practices of Yoga and to share this authentic age-old science and knowledge that has been passed down as a legacy through the inhabitants of this plentiful town.
The name Rishikesh Yogkulam denotes a unification of the name of the city Rishikesh - the world capital of Yoga and “Yogkulam” which means Yoga family. Amit and Dhirendra chose this name to amplify the core values of familial bonding and instill the same sense of togetherness in their students. These students seldom remain only students and become an integral part of this Yoga family in Rishikesh.
Yogkulam also signifies ancestry, referring to Amit and Dhirendra having studied under great masters, who follow the discipline of Yoga according to its ancient origins and traditions. Together, all this represents the foundation of the teachings imparted to the two cousins which in turn is passed on from student to student over the years.
The six values of Rishikesh Yogkulam are as follows:
- Rishikesh Yogkulam offers a holistic learning program which explores Yoga not only as a physical practice but also as a lifestyle and spiritual practice.
- Rishikesh Yogkulam specializes in creating courses for small groups to ensure that each student gets the fullest individual attention from every teacher.
- Rishikesh Yogkulam strongly believes that Yoga is for everyone irrespective of ethnicity or age. It doesn’t matter where you start; what matters is what you learn along the journey. You don’t need to be young, flexible or strong. You just need to be you.
- Rishikesh Yogkulam strives to convey the authenticity and importance of Yoga teachings on and off the mat and to create a space to practice the art of Yoga with a mindful, encouraging community.
- The purpose of Rishikesh Yogkulam is to train future teachers and educate new students in the principles of Yoga.
- Security first! This is the philosophy of the school and it is the reason why a great emphasis is put on the alignment classes.