For the global yoga community, Yoga Alliance is the independent a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit member organization that advances the development and livelihood of yoga professionals and advocates for safety and accessibility in yoga. With a mission to educate and support yoga teachers, schools and students to effectively share the arts and sciences of yoga with their communities by encouraging the development of skillful action, integrity, inclusion, accessibility and safety, Yoga Alliance has more than 90,400 Registered Yoga Teachers (RYT®) and more than 6,200 Registered Yoga Schools (RYS®) members. YA’s five core activities are: Standards; Credentialing; Public Education & Continuing Education for Members; Member Benefits; and Government Relations.
Yoga Alliance Foundation (YAF), a related 501(c)(3) public charity, is an emerging field leader in yoga-based social impact, with a goal to bring yoga’s healing potential to populations that have historically been marginalized from it and create new service opportunities for YA members. Yoga Alliance Foundation develops vehicles for social impact; core ideas include:
- Belief - That everyone deserves the benefits of yoga.
- Service - Yoga Alliance Foundation is a social impact organization serving the public through yoga education and focused on making yoga more accessible to all. YAF places special emphasis on individuals and communities that stand to benefit most from yoga’s healing power. Another goal is to create new opportunities for yoga teachers to work in service and expand their contributions to their communities.
- Funding - Yoga Alliance Foundation is donor supported and mission driven, with seed funding for the initiatives and activities of the Yoga Alliance Foundation coming from the prudent reserves of the original Yoga Alliance Registry.
Reporting to Yoga Alliance’s Acting President and Chief Executive Officer (C.E.O), the Managing Director (M.D.) of the Yoga Alliance Foundation will translate the organization’s vision into a portfolio of programs that amplifies opportunities for yoga to transform and heal.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a leader to: identify promising community programs; develop grantmaking approaches that support program expansion and scale; measure outcomes; incorporate learning into future initiatives; and engage new donors. Humble, collaborative, and disciplined, the M.D. must bring a track record building partnerships that have led to equity and access in marginalized communities.
- Partner with the Acting President and C.E.O. to develop approaches that leverage YAF’s currently available investments ($9M+) and provide a strong platform that will encourage new contributions to expand this work. Support the Acting President and C.E.O.’s strategic engagement with an impact- focused YA board committee;
- Identify community-based partners that skillfully implement authentic, inclusive and measurable health and wellness programs;
- Identify and build deep relationships that generate funding for program initiatives and pilots;
- Model Yoga Alliance/Yoga Alliance Foundation’s core values – and genuine service -- in all interactions;
- Test, measure and iterate approaches that measurably expand programs and/or seek to fundamentally change the ability to scale yoga’s service to marginalized communities;
- Develop, and apply, disciplined and transparent grantmaking criteria;
- As initiatives expand, create a learning community of partners with shared goals;
- Partner closely with colleagues across YA/YAF to deepen synergies;
- Leverage skills and central services from Yoga Alliance (communications, finance, HR, etc.) that enhance program support to partners and ensure the Foundation’s agility;
- Recruit, mentor, manage and retain a high-performing team of three to four with clear roles and tools to succeed; drive professional development and a positive, empowering performance culture;
- Promote mindsets and actions focused on service, creativity, innovation, continuous improvement, and learning.
Yoga Alliance Foundation’s Managing Director must bring a track record of community service in the health or wellness field and operational excellence in a nimble environment; and, ideally:
- Identified and shaped innovative program approaches that integrate community voice, have delivered measurable outcomes and have been replicated;
- Engaged program partners, volunteers and donors in a common direction; and
- Expanded access to evidence-based programs
Critical skills and attributes include:
- Partnership orientation: Listens, learns and collaborates; seeks out and tests ideas with significant input from a wide array of colleagues and community partners
- Management and Team Development: Has inspired a small team; elevates team member ideas and innovative approaches; and creates development opportunities for professional growth.
- Communications: Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills; effectively engages at all levels within and outside of an organization; adapts to multiple audiences and the needs of under- represented communities
- Other personal characteristics: Flexible and positive and passion for YA’s/YAF’s mission.
Yoga Alliance provides excellent benefits to its employees, including a comprehensive health insurance plan, a 401K plan and a generous paid leave policy. Employees enjoy a casual dress code. We have a unique office culture of motivated and collaborative individuals.
Yoga Alliance provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Yoga Alliance’s values:
- Unity: We strive to bring individuals and communities together in the spirit of yoga. We aspire to form deep relationships, partnerships, and alliances with all those who teach and practice yoga to demonstrate the positive power of connection and collaboration for the benefit of society.
- Inclusion: We believe that yoga is for everybody and that YA has a responsibility to expand access to communities that have been underserved, marginalized, and under-represented. Taking proactive steps to promote diversity and inclusion in yoga, we are working to remove barriers to entry, leverage cultural differences, grow representation, foster safety, and enhance sensitivity in all areas of yoga.
- Integrity: We think, speak and act with honesty, positive intention, accountability and a sincere desire to achieve our mission. We respect our members, our organization, our policies, our environment and each other as we support the yoga community.
- Inquiry: We seek to learn, grow and evolve according to the eternal yogic discipline of self-study. We are curious and strive to understand all points of view. We stay present in the moment, correct and learn from our mistakes, and aspire to become more effective, harmonious, and balanced.
- Seva: We approach our work in the spirit of Seva, a Sanskrit word meaning selfless-service. With open hearts, we recognize that our hard work and inspired efforts will assist yoga teachers as they support and encourage health, healing, and happiness in their communities.
Viewcrest Advisors is proud to partner with Yoga Alliance Foundation on this critical search. Our team is committed to social justice and access to opportunity; we actively cultivate relationships with leaders who have varied life experiences as well as the skills needed to lead strong, innovative organizations.
Please share nominations or submit a resume and cover letter, in MS Word format, to: email@example.com