Help America Get PHIT
Last Updated: December 16, 2016
In this special podcast episode, YA staff member Irene Waggener explores the PHIT Act, a piece of legislation currently in Congress that aims to help make physical activities (including yoga) more affordable. She talks with several different yogis around the U.S. about how this legislation will affect the yoga community and how it benefits yoga practitioners. She even shares some concrete steps for how to contact your Representative/Senator and encourage them to support the bill.
The content presented today expresses the views of our presenter and does not necessarily reflect the views of Yoga Alliance.
Want to get involved? Visit these pages to learn more:
Yoga Alliance Advocacy
Yoga Alliance PHIT Act Page
Find Your Congressman/Congresswoman or Representative
Advocate for the PHIT Act
Guests Featured in This Podcast:
- Andrew Tanner, E-RYT 500, YACEP, has been teaching yoga and running yoga businesses since 2003. He offers classes at his studio ELEMENTS3 YOGA in Framingham, MA and is the Chief Ambassador for Yoga Alliance.
- Roger Rippy, E-RYT 500, is a lawyer, yoga teacher and owner of six yoga studios in the Houston area. He has been instrumental in numerous Yoga Alliance advocacy initiatives, including our legislation in Missouri that protects yoga teacher trainings (YTTs) from unnecessary regulations.
- Elle Potter, E-RYT 500, YACEP, has been teaching yoga since 2008 and is the founder of Yoga Buzz, a nonprofit that aims to make yoga accessible to all. Her advocacy work includes testifying in support of legislation that protects Missouri YTTs from unnecessary regulations. She is also a 2016 Yoga Alliance Advocacy Award recipient.
- Aimee Ghosh, Associate, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, is an attorney who represents Yoga Alliance on state and federal advocacy issues.
- Carmen Orozco-Acosta, Ph.D., RYT 200, is the Government Affairs Manager at Yoga Alliance. If you have any questions about advocacy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continue the conversation and share your feedback in the comments section on SoundCloud!
Copyright © 2016 by Yoga Alliance. All rights reserved.