Yoga Alliance Code of Conduct
Last Updated: January 7, 2016
The Yoga Alliance® Code of Conduct is a declaration of acceptable ethical and professional behavior by which all members agree to conduct themselves in relation to other members or to any third party, to the extent such conduct relies on or is connected to the member’s membership in Yoga Alliance. The Code thus applies to members’ teaching of yoga, operation of a yoga teacher training program, any related business, participation in advocacy activities on behalf of Yoga Alliance, offering continuing education courses as a YACEP®, service on Yoga Alliance Committees, dealings with Yoga Alliance affinity partners, or other Yoga Alliance-related activity. It is not intended to supersede the ethics of any school or tradition but is intended to be a basis for ethical participation in this organization. As a member of Yoga Alliance, I agree to uphold the following ethical principles:
- Conduct myself in a professional and conscientious manner. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring that I live up to any commitments I make to students, course participants or to the public, and ensuring that my practices and behavior conform to the representations I make about myself in holding myself out as a yoga practitioner or as a member of Yoga Alliance who adheres to certain precepts.
- Acknowledge the limitations of my skills, scope of practice, and expertise and where appropriate, refer students to seek alternative instruction, advice, treatment or direction.
- As applicable, create and maintain a safe, clean and comfortable environment for the practice of yoga.
- Encourage diversity by treating all individuals with respect, regardless of age, physical limitations, race, creed, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation, and respecting their rights, dignity, and privacy.
- Avoid words and actions that constitute sexual harassment or harassment based on other legal protected characteristics.
- As applicable, adhere to the traditional yoga principles as written in the yamas and niyamas.
- Follow all local government and national laws that pertain to my activities as a Yoga Alliance member.
I understand that Yoga Alliance may revoke my right to use Yoga Alliance Logos or Marks and may cancel my membership, without refund, for cause, including for failure to uphold the standards set forth in the Code of Conduct. Prior to revoking my right to use Yoga Alliance Logos or Marks and/or canceling my membership, Yoga Alliance will provide me notice of the basis for the potential revocation and an opportunity to respond in writing. After review of the evidence, Yoga Alliance will issue a decision as to whether to revoke my right to use Yoga Alliance Logos or Marks and/or cancel my membership, based on its reasonable judgment of the evidence before it. I agree to hold Yoga Alliance harmless for any losses or damage I may incur as a consequence of the revocation of my right to use Yoga Alliance Logos or Marks and/or cancellation of my membership.
YAplus is a non-profit trade association that is registered to do business as Yoga Alliance®.