Code of Conduct
Last Updated: December 31, 2017
The Yoga Alliance Code of Conduct is a declaration of acceptable ethical and professional behavior by which all registrants agree to conduct the teaching and business of yoga. It is not intended to supersede the ethics of any school or tradition but is intended to be a basis for yoga principles. As a Registered Yoga Teacher, a YACEP, or representative of a Registered Yoga Schools, I agree to uphold the following ethical principles:
- Conduct myself in a professional and conscientious manner. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring that I live up to any commitments I make to my students or to the public, and ensuring that my practices and behavior conform to the representations I make about myself in holding myself out as a yoga practitioner who adheres to certain precepts.
- Acknowledge the limitations of my skills and scope of practice and where appropriate, refer students to seek alternative instruction, advice, treatment or direction.
- Create and maintain a safe, clean and comfortable environment for the practice of yoga.
- Encourage diversity by respecting all students regardless of age, physical limitations, race, creed, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation.
- Respect the rights, dignity and privacy of all students.
- Avoid words and actions that constitute sexual harassment or harassment based on other legal protected characteristics.
- Adhere to the traditional yoga principles as written in the yamas and niyamas.
- Follow all local government and national laws that pertain to my yoga teaching and business.
I understand that Yoga Alliance may revoke my right to use its Registry Marks for cause, including failure to uphold the Standards set forth in the Code of Conduct or failure to comply with Yoga Alliance’s Yoga Therapy Policy. Prior to revoking my right to use a Registry Mark, Yoga Alliance will provide me notice of the basis for the potential revocation and an opportunity to respond in writing. After review of the evidence, Yoga Alliance will issue a decision as to whether to revoke my credentials, based on its reasonable judgment of the evidence before it. I agree to hold Yoga Alliance harmless for any losses or damage I may incur as a consequence of the revocation of my credentials.