Launch of the Ethical Commitment and a Strengthened Era of Accountability > Common Core Curriculum for RYS™ 200
Available in: العربية
| 中文(简体) |
Français | हिन्दी | 日本語
Common Core Curriculum for RYS™ 200
Last Updated: February 27, 2020
New standards underlying the foundational-level RYS 200 credential took effect February 27, 2020, thus creating a shared core curriculum for all RYS 200s that emphasize key learning goals and desired outcomes. Inclusive of lineage, style, or methodology, as of February 2022 (the date by when current RYS 200s must up-level to these standards), all Yoga Alliance RYS 200 programs will operate from a common core curriculum that includes 4 categories and 12 competencies. In addition, each RYS will assess the knowledge, skills, and experience of its trainees prior to graduating and certifying them as 200-hour teachers against this core curriculum to ensure comprehension and understanding.
Core Curriculum: Current RYS 200 vs New RYS 200. View full size.
What has changed?
- The five current categories, or Educational Categories, have been condensed into four categories.
- The category of Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle, & Ethics has been renamed Yoga Humanities
- The categories of Teaching Methodology and Practicum have merged into Professional Essentials
- All hours are now classroom hours versus a distinction between contact and non-contact hours, increasing the emphasis on learning objectives transparently tied to instructional hours.
- Upwards of 40 hours may now be delivered via online classroom hours
- Of these 40 hours, up to 20 may be in the Anatomy & Physiology category (20 of the 30 total required hours) with another 20 being in support of Yoga Humanities (20 of the 30 total required hours)
- Though there are assigned classroom hours by category, each RYS has flexibility with respect to how to allocate them across the respective competencies and required assessment of them.
While the core curriculum requires 200 hours of instruction and training, 200 hours is only a minimal requirement. RYS 200s are encouraged to offer additional hours as desired or needed to support the core curriculum and to expand upon lineage, style, or methodology via any incremental topic or activity.
Click here to see a further description of the 12 competencies across the 4 categories.
For more information about how our RYS 200 standards have changed, view our Current vs. Enhanced RYS 200 page. You can also review our previous standards here.